You may have heard the words authentic + intentional tossed around often, or maybe you’ve never heard those words associated with a marketing strategy. Either way, we want to share what we mean when we use these words and why being authentic + intentional in your business is essential to sustainable growth.
the act of being genuine.
something done with intent; deliberate action.
First of all, to create a strategy that reflects both of these qualities, we want to shift our minds from dollars + numbers → to → ideal clients + people. When this mental shift is made, it is much easier to approach your business presence, correspondence and relationships online more authentically.
Simply put, marketing is a conversation between people. Our goal is to make it a genuine one. Authenticity means representing who you are as a business, what you offer and who you serve in a VIBRANT, positive and influential way that is true to who you are. Cut out the spam, the sales-y sleaze and the barrier between consumer to brand. Welcome in your ideal audience with open arms, craft a transparent experience for them and see how this impacts your business.
After all, you’re a person trying to reach your ideal client who is also a person. Take out the desire for big followings, huge amount of likes (aka ego boosts), megaphoning your messages to everyone and instead replace this with curating a supportive, encouraging group of people, cultivating legitimate engagement + feedback that propels your business forward and connecting with your ideal client (not just anyone and everyone).
Between the two of us, Aaron + I have helped countless entrepreneurs make this change in their marketing strategy and have seen the significant transformation with the growth of their online community, referrals, client bookings and revenue all increasing and coming more naturally than before.
Here are concrete ways that you can allow your business to shine genuinely, authentically + intentionally:
- Invest your time + efforts well. This falls under the intentionality category. We as entrepreneurs want to be as intentional with our time and action as possible. Every effort we put in, we hope to see the highest return possible. Instead of running like a hamster on a wheel, it’s important to be empowered with a strategy that reaps a high return on investment so that every hour spent on your website, every post on social media, every marketing message you share reaches goals and propels you forward towards your objectives.
- Crafting a brand you can grow with (not out of) is vital for continued success. Think of the major entrepreneurs, artists and speakers that you admire. They all have something in common – they weren’t a one hit wonder. They evolved, grew, changed and kept creating. We’re happy to follow along and support them through many projects because we love who they are, the types of things they create and the overall experience we have. Our point: don’t market just your product. If you have a brand that people fall in love with, they will continue to support your next endeavor, creating a more sustainable future for you as an entrepreneur.
- There isn’t a quick fix for everything. There are many “strategies” out there that are the ‘get rich quick’ scams of the marketing world – worded more like ‘get more followers fast’. Just know that followers do not equal dollars and that buying your community will not bring long lasting success to your company. Instead, intentionally investing time, effort and focus to crafting an authentic and honest brand WILL pave the way for sustainable growth and success. Instead of doing research + putting in the hard work to set ourselves up for success, we think that if we spend a few hundred dollars here + there, clients will be knocking on our door. Guys, who you’re trying to speak to is your ideal clients, not just any clients. Instead of wasting money testing + trying methods hoping they work + hoping you connect with the right folks, spend your time fine tuning your brand, your marketing messaging, your vision + the way you communicate all of the above! There is no quick fix for growing a genuine, engaged online community – don’t let people trick you into believing otherwise.
- By treating your online community as such (because you know they are real people, right?) and investing your time and effort wisely online, you will in turn receive much greater reaction. Genuine actions + content online show that your business is trustworthy, credible and worthwhile. When you demonstrate this, you are able to build trust and create meaningful, lasting relationships with a community of people who want to support your brand and share your message.
- When you think about standing out online, is there someone that comes to mind? Someone who just shines?
For us, each person that resonates with us online have two things in common – they’re extremely talented + unapologetically inviting. Somewhere along the way, the idea came along that our social media accounts should become a space where we scream into a megaphone hoping someone out there will hear, instead of simply speaking to the people we’re trying to reach. Your story might not be resonating with the right people if you aren’t taking the time to reflect on who exactly your ideal clients are and how you would speak to them if you were having a conversation offline! Here’s our tip to eliminating the barrier between you + your clients – stop shouting into your megaphone and start treating your content like a conversation over coffee!
Whichever business you own, whatever you may offer + whoever you may serve – we all can be authentic + intentional with the way we do business and the way we present ourselves online. Being transparent, letting what you have to offer shine authentically + sharing your message in an honest, open way – this is what we’ve seen make the biggest impact with our clients and ourselves.
Next time you hear authentic or intentional in reference to marketing strategy – we hope that you smile a little + know what they’re talking about. And that next time you go to share your message, whether in person or online – that you stop + think how you’re adding value to the person on the other end, that you consciously consider how you’re invest your time smarter (not harder) and if it’s truly genuine to the heart of your business.
Invest your time wisely, be authentic + rise above the noise.